1. Tianjin City
Tianjin has a population of 10.75 million, and an employed population of 3.1 million, of which there are more than 2 million industrial workers.
Tianjin has a solid strength of education and scientific research. By the end of 2006, it had had:
44 universities, 230 professional disciplines, a gross enrollment rate of higher education is more than 50%, more than 380,000 college students, 357 thousand undergraduate students and junior college students, 3.1 million graduate students, and an average length of education of new work force is more than 14 years.
2 state-level model higher vocational colleges, 65 national, provincial and ministerial key secondary vocational schools and 4 national medium and higher-level teacher training bases of vocational education.
more than 90% of a dissemination rate of senior high school education, and an enrollment of 217,000 students.
a total number of 141 post-doctoral research stations and mobile stations, and more than 500 post-doctors at stations.
31 academicians of CAS & CAE, 179 people with the titles of the country's middle-aged and young experts who have made outstanding contributions, 4043 experts who enjoy special government allowances, 33 people who have been selected into the "Talent Project in the New Millennium," 20 people who have won the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, and 40 distinguished professors who have been enrolled in "Cheung Kong Scholars Program."
a total number of 710 thousand skilled workers in the city's business units, of which senior technicians and technicians account for 5%, high-level workers 21%, mid-level workers 34%, and elementary workers 40%. 236 thousand people obtained professional qualification certificates in 2006.
5 national key laboratories and 50 city-level and ministerial-level laboratories.
27 national-level and ministerial-level testing centers.
17 national-level and ministerial-level engineering research centers, 26 municipal engineering centers, 14 national-level enterprise technical centers, and 200 corporate technology centers.
Planning for Higher Education System in Tianjin
According to the plan, a four-level higher education system will be completed in Tianjin city in the next 5 years:
Two world-famous high-level research universities: Nankai University and Tianjin University
Five comprehensive universities in science &technology and economic & trade categories that put equal emphasis on undergraduate education and scientific research:
Tianjin University of Technology, featuring information technology;
Tianjin Polytechnic University, featuring materials science;
Tianjin Institute of Light Industry, featuring marine chemical industry and bioengineering;
Tianjin University of Commerce, featuring business and economics;
Tianjin University of Finance and Economics, featuring finance and economics.
About ten colleges with priority to undergraduate education, each having their own characteristics;
About 20 higher technical colleges that give priority to junior college education, community colleges that give priority to further education, and a small number of adult colleges.
Attached: A Distributing Chart of Colleges and Universities in Northern China
2. Tianjin Binhai New Area
There are more than 1.4 million resident population in the area, of which 407,000 were immigrants, accounting for 29.28 percent of Tianjin's immigrants. The population is mainly composed of the young and middle-aged. 15-to-64-year-old resident alien population accounts for 82.74 percent, 20-to-45-year-olds account for 58.75%.
There are 23 thousand professional technical personnel among the 550 thousand employees in the area.
Establish a multi-level scientific and technological innovation system and business base for technological talented people, with 42 national and municipal scientific research institutes, 39 large research and development centers of enterprises and 27 post-doctoral workstations.
Aiming at the demands of the construction of advanced manufacturing and modern service industry in Binhai New Area, foster high-quality and skill-typed personnel. In future, the vocational education of Tianjin will focus on the building of 8 large "Training Bases for Deficient skilled Talents in Binhai New Area," involving aviation-manufacturing, petroleum, chemical industry, electronics, modern logistics, financial outsourcing and other industries.
Eight large "Training Bases for Deficient Skillful Talents in Binhai New Area" include:
Airbus A320 training base, the training task of which will be assumed by Tianjin Sino-Germany Vocational Training Center (AFZ) and Tianjin Vocational Institute.
Megaton ethylene personnel training base, the training task of which will be assumed by Tianjin Engineering Technical Institute and Tianjin Petroleum Vocational and Technical College.
10 Million-ton oil refining base, the training task of witch will be assumed by Tianjin Engineering Technical Institute and Tianjin Petroleum Vocational and Technical College..
Training base of Bohai Chemical Industry Park, the training task of which will be assumed by Tianjin Bohai Vocational Technical College.
Training base for skilled personnel of seamless steel pipe, the training task of which will be assumed by Tianjin Technical College of Metallurgy.
Training base for skilled personnel of electronic information industry, the training task of which will be assumed by Electronic Information Vocational Technology College.
Training base for personnel of outsourcing financial services, the training task of which will be assumed by Tianjin Institute of Foreign Economic Relations and Trade.
Training base for personnel of modern logistics, the training task of which will be assumed by Tianjin Transportation Vocational College and Tianjin Maritime Vocational Institute.
China Services International Tianjin Binhai
China Services International was established in September, 2002. Since its establishment, it has pursued the management philosophy of "basing on the society, standardizing the management, innovating the services, and integrity and high efficiency," has established a cooperative relationship with more than 300 organizations of experts, training bodies, junior colleges, and scientific research institutes in various countries around the world. It has possessed unobstructed channels of international cooperation and a large number of domestic business networks. With the Binhai New Area listed on the national "11th Five-Year Development Plan," multinational corporations have one after another set up in the new area technology R & D centers, and thus a number of internationally competitive positions appeared, which has had considerable appeal to the international high-level personnel. At the same time, a considerable number of high-level talents in Binhai New Area need to be more open to the world so as to exchange and learn, so the building of high-level international talent market in line with market demands will achieve a good economic and social effects. Tianjin Binhai China Services International was set up on January 30, 2007. It will set up a platform of communication and exchange for the two sides of supply and demand！overseas intellectual resources and the employers in the Circum-Bohai region, to promote the development of overseas talent-intermediary business and the rational flow and allocation of international and domestic talents, and strengthen the radiation and leading role of Binhai New Area in the international exchange of personnel in the Bohai Rim, serving for the further development & opening up of the Binhai New Area.
3. Tianjin Economic-Technological Development Area (TEDA)
By the end of 2008, there is 356,100 working staff in the development area: 97,600 of them are professional and technical personnel and managers, accounting for 31% of all the employees; 175,800 are high-skilled talents, accounting for 55.8%.
In recent years, with the enactment of incentive policies to attract talents, the working, learning and living environments of the area are further optimized for different categories of talented people, becoming even more magnetizing to all kinds of talented people. In addition, innovative and pioneering talents have become a new driving force for the economic growth in the area. In 2008, TEDA further improved its environment for talents and made every effort to draw talented people. In the year of 2008 alone, there were 70 senior talents, including two academicians coming to the area. By the end of 2008, a total of 618 senior talents and 22 academicians were absorbed in the area, and 53 post-doctoral stations were established with 76 post-doctors working in. In addition, there were ten human resource service organizations, seven of which were run by the local people. In the same year, the first training center for outsourcing services in China, Tianjin Binhai Vocational Skill Training and Accreditation Center, was completed and put into operation, which brought the platform of vocational training up on a new stage. In 2008, 15,600 skilled workers were trained in the area, including 2,491 technicians in middle-ranked and above. A total of 33 talent recruitment meetings held in 2008, which 4,647 enterprises and 70,000 talented people took part in. In 2008, 15,000 new job opportunities were created, enabling 19,976 laid-off workers, including 609 middle-aged people in 40s & 50s, to regain their posts. 14 new Youth Vocational Training Bases were built throughout the year with the total number adding up to 46. In a comprehensive evaluation of investment environment of 54 national-level development areas conducted by the Ministry of Commerce, TEDA topped the list in respect of the indicator on the supply of human resources in a successive 9 years.
Nankai University TEDA Campus which Nankai University and TEDA jointly established, aims to cultivate senior undergraduates and post-graduate students to meet the immediate needs for talents in the area.
The Foreign-Related Vocational Secondary School produce qualified staff for those enterprises with foreign investment.
Assembly line workers can be summoned from the close neighborhood of Tanggu District of Tianjin, which has a population of about 500,000.
In addition, the Labor and Personnel Bureau of TEDA have also signed cooperation agreements on the supply of labor resources with Liaoning and Shandong Province. TEDA Human Resource Service Center is capable of giving an all-round recruitment services for the enterprises.
The number of foreign students in the area reached 801 and that of foreign teachers was 105.
In nine successive years, TEDA was listed Top 1 in terms of the evaluation indicator on investment environment and supply of human resource among all the development areas of the country.
On July 31, 2007, the work team of the "Thousand-Hundred-Ten Project" launched by Ministry of Commerce signed the agreement with TEDA in Ministry of Commerce that the two parties would work together to establish Tianjin Service Outsourcing Training Center of China ！！ the first experimental unit of training center of the Ministry of Commerce on national human resources service outsourcing. It is estimated that by 2010, the sales in the field of service outsourcing mainly supported by TEDA will have reached RMB 5-6 billion. Of all the sale amount, RMB 2 billion from ITO, RMB 1 billion from financial backing service, RMB 1 billion from contract research organization (CRO), more than RMB 300 million respectively from the customer service center, administrative management and human resources, financial outsourcing. Offshore outsourcing service will come to USD 300-400 million; subsidize and introduce 6-8 big enterprises, each of which have an annual sales income of over RMB 500 million; by 2010, the employees in service outsourcing & trade will reach 50,000-60,000.
TEDA takes the construction of college area as the key project, seeing it as the core of work in satisfying the needs of the overall development strategy of the area, as well as maintaining the competitive advantage of the area in the future.
2) A platform for the talent construction
(1) Establish market geared to the talent demands of both domestic and overseas talent. TEDA talent market, which was established in June, 1995, adhere to its commitment to be a market of high quality and top grade for the needs of a large number of middle- and high-level talent. After 12 years' development and improvement, TEDA talent market has become one of the most attractive talent markets in Tianjin. A number of featured recruitment activities have been held here, and an average of more than 300,000 people per year go to the market for jobs. TedaHR.com was set up to enable the employees and the employers to click for information at any time, which greatly enhanced the efficiency in distribution of human resources. The online browsers have added up to 6,620,000 people ！！ which means 300,000 people browsed the web pages per day. In order to absorb more talented people to TEDA, we strengthened its tie with medium agencies in other provinces and cities, hosted cross-regional talent recruitment activities, which forcefully promoted the mobility of talent.
(2) Carry out vigorously various forms of vocational and technical training. In 2006, Tianjin Bureau of Labor and Social Security and the Administrative Commission of TEDA jointly funded the establishment of Tianjin Binhai Vocational Skill Training and Accreditation Center and threw it into operation in September of 2007. The center has now become a vocational skill training and accreditation base that has the broadest architecture complex in scale, perfected facilities, and abundant funds. Ten specialties are offered in the Center, namely, electronic communication, automobiles, machine manufacture (mould), biomedicine, food inspection, logistics, foreign languages, computer, management and modern services. More than 70 general types of work can be trained and appraised here. The Center sets the needs of the major industries of the Area above everything else and provides technical training for nearly 10,000 people at all levels ranging from technicians to primary-level workers every year.
(3) Establish Tianjin Service Outsourcing Training Center of China. On July 31, 2007, the work team of the "Thousand-Hundred-Ten Project" launched by Ministry of Commerce signed cooperation agreement with TEDA on establishing "Tianjin Service Outsourcing Training Center of China" ！！ the first and only service outsourcing training center in China. The Ministry of Commerce will work out preferential policies to support the Center. At the same time, the Area has planned to allocate special fund from revenue to support the job of service outsourcing training. According to the plan, the Center will give training courses to 10,000-20,000 people who meet the requirements of the enterprises. The training, focusing on helping college students to get jobs, guides college students to seek employment in the service outsourcing industry. In accordance with the requirements of service outsourcing enterprises, tailored training programs will be carried out with an aim to satisfy the needs of the development of TEDA Outsourcing Base.
(4) Establish post-doctoral stations that rank high in scale among all the development areas of the country. To get innovative talent by establishing post-doctoral stations is very effective. Since the first state-level post-doctoral station was built in TEDA in 2000, 53 branches have been set up, dealing with the 4 pillar industries of TEDA. The number of post-doctoral stations here makes up 60% of all the post-doctoral stations in Tianjin city and 90% in Binhai New Area, ranking first among all state-level development areas. From then on, 120 post-doctors have been introduced in, making the number of the post-doctors of the area reach the level of a key university of national "211 Project". In 2005, the post-doctoral station of TEDA was awarded the honorable title of "national outstanding post-doctoral workstation" and received high praise from leaders of the country and Ministry of Personnel.
(5) Adhere to the policy of carrying out the overseas talent recruitment activities. Catering to the students who returned from overseas and foreign specialists, the area held a series of activities to attract a large number of overseas students returning and setting up a career. According to recent statistics, there are 3,500 overseas returned personnels in TEDA, engaging in the fields of finance, economy, technology, research and so on. Many of them have settled down in the area. Overall, the goal of getting twice the result with only half the effort was achieved！the goal of introducing a group, developing a project and gathering a collection of experts on a certain subject.
3) The System of Talent Policy
(1) Establish policies and measures to encourage all kinds of talent to set up a career in the area. Since 2001, Administrative Commission of TEDA has successively issued Provisions of TEDA on Encouraging Senior Talents to Move In and Interim Measures of TEDA on Special Bounties to Encourage Senior Managerial and Technical Personnel of TEDA to Purchase Commodity Houses. They clearly put forward the special preferences and subsidizations for those senior talents, especially those who are patentees on the purchase of houses, the employment of his/her family members and children's school entering when they settle in the zone.
(2) Make stronger efforts to cultivate and make good use of the talents. In order to attract and bring up more high-quality talent, in 2004, Administrative Commission of TEDA worked out Implementary Opinions of TEDA on Establishing Youth Vocational Training Base. At the beginning, there were 10 such bases. Now there are 32 such bases, offering over 1,000 posts for probationers. Moreover, in order to promote the talented personnel accreditation meeting with international standards, we established TEDA Accreditation Committee of Technical Title Evaluating Standard on Professor Level Senior Engineers and Senior Engineers under the approval of the Municipal Personnel Bureau, seeing that the national technical title evaluating standard for technical workers is quite different from international criteria. The committee is in charge of appraising the Professor level senior engineers and senior engineers majoring in electricity, machinery, and automobile in TEDA and the Free Trade Zone. It's the first time for the nation to entrust the job of appraising Professor level senior engineers to the administrative departments at the level of district. The committee was composed of core members of those key enterprises in TEDA. They work on the front line of manufacturing and scientific research and know well of the characteristics of the enterprises' need and the technicians. So far, three accreditation sessions have been successfully organized and been welcomed by technicians working in overseas enterprises.
(3) Widen the range of people who can enjoy the preferential policies on the introduction, the cultivation and the awarding of talent. On August 30, 2006, the Administrative Commission published Regulation of TEDA on the Introduction, Cultivation and Awarding of Talent. The regulation widened the sphere of talent, covering in technicians, managers and skilled workers. The regulation satisfied the needs of enterprises for talent in a large degree and strengthened the support for all kinds of talent at the same time. It not only encourages the introduction of talent, but also gives support to the cultivation of talent and the promotion of their skills through policy and investment.